Prezi vs PowerPoint: Which is better for wowing an audience? Comparing the two is quite difficult because both of them have pros and cons in terms of their usage. Whatever you choose, the result of the presentation will greatly depend on the content and the way you present it. However, better understanding on the two programs is a must for you to make a wise decision in choosing the most appropriate program for your school project or business presentation.
Want to dig deeper and know the pros and cons of each program a bit better? This article will help you to fully understand the use of Prezi and Power Point.
Prezi vs PowerPoint
PowerPoint is a Microsoft program used for slide show presentation which is commonly used for teaching, product launching or sales presentation. You can enhance the capabilities of this program using third party add-ins such as PPTools, pptPlex and TechRepublic. PPTools have starter set which facilitates quick importing of pictures, easy zooming function, and more. pptPlex help you to go directly into your chosen slides plus you can easily navigate the zoom in and out settings. There are also interesting add-inns that you can use from TechRepublic app. The good thing is Powerpoint does not rely on an internet connection and it is supported by many other systems that allow you to upload ppt and share your slides.
- It provides custom animations with three kinds of movements including entrance, emphasis, and exit effects.
- It contains slide layouts which allow users to change the fonts, colours, designs, and backgrounds.
- You can add effects between slides by adding different slide transitions so that your presentation can be more interesting.
- It can create an enjoyable presentation that includes sound and music.
- You can add narration or video clips in your slides.
- If the presentation will be needed in hard copy, slides are printable.
- Inserted hyperlinks can be easily open by simply clicking the web link.
- Presentation can be navigated and displayed on a computer.
- It is user-friendly.
- Slide format sometimes offers difficulty in going back to a certain slide while conduction your presentation.
- Clip arts and graphics are outdated.
- Readily made slide layouts are quite few.
- Inserting photographs can be inserted in two ways- vertically or horizontally.
- You have to install the software in your computer as part of your Microsoft Office.
- You have to buy an overhead projector and a slide projector for larger audience.
Prezi is different from PowerPoint in terms of interface. It contains a zooming user interface (ZUI) allowing users to zoom in and zoom out of their media presentation. Since, it is a software program with flash-based feature, instead of a slide Prezi starts with a blank canvas. If PowerPoint employs linear format, Prezi is non-linear. This software is made to replace the slide-based presentation so that the presenter can easily jump into different topics and ideas.
- Prezi presentation has zoom in and zoom out function which is very easy to navigate. If you are discussing a particular topic, simply zoom in your canvas with the information that you want to give emphasis.
- It is quick and easy to insert images, audio, and video. Photos can be inserted at any angle you desired. Users can zoom, rotate, resize, or edit a certain object.
- Presentations can be embedded into a webpage or blog.
- It allows user to customize their design pages by making them look like a real newspaper or a magazine article.
- Since it is a web-based software, working in any computer with internet connection and Flash is easy.
- It is compatible with almost all web browsers and modern computers.
- It contains frames which allow users to group multiple presentation media into a single presentation.
- It requires knowledge and skills in using this program since it is a newly developed software which is not widely used especially in schools. Learning the program before making a presentation is a must.
- Some people are disturbed with the zoom function and animation used within the software.
- In order to work with your presentation offline, you have to purchase Prezi Desktop which is more expensive than Microsoft Office.
- It does not allow editing the readily made templates as compared to PowerPoint in which you can change the font and color schemes in the templates.
Prezi vs PowerPoint: Can you decide now which of the two has a wow factor?
Look at the convenience of your own choice. Consider your profession and the nature of your job. Whether you are an educator, a sales representative, or a business man, PowerPoint is much suited in creating a more professional presentation. In the Internet there are large collections of sales PowerPoint templates, themes, and slides perfect for your business plan and sales presentation. Slide Team and Slidevana provide useful slide templates perfect for your specifications and needs. In addition, PowerPoint connects up to excel making it very useful for sales presentations.
Prezi , on the other hand is suited to keep your audience engaged. It has a powerful effect in showcasing your company. For engaging presentations prezi is the best choice, or ones that have a story. Think of prezi like a moving infograpihc and powerpoint as a well thought out manual.
Prezi vs PowerPoint: Best Features of Each
Powerpoint is great for simplicity, quick to create a presentation that needs to convey information. It is a common tool for presenting information in various academic activities such as school projects, lectures, and seminars wherein the audience is after of the information that they will get from the lecturer or presenter. However, Prezi is a more appropriate program for young people. Children are fond of flashy effects, funny animations, and unique visuals. The attention and focus can be maintained while you are discussing something.
Whenever you are choosing a program for your future presentation, consider always the type of audience that you have. Decide now on what will you use for your future presentation, Prezi vs PowerPoint?